Adding stock to the warehouse management and invoicing software
You need to use the booking in tab from the Main Menu to add your existing stock to the stock control software system. Now you will see the benefits of a sensible stock analysis hierarchy.
Before the opening stock can be ‘booked in” to the stock control software system you need to create a purchase order:
- Click Purchases on the Main Menu to open the purchase order form of the inventory control software system.
- The date and next sequential order number will be filled in automatically by the warehouse management and invoicing software.
- Click the button at the right of Supplier No and from the drop down list double-click the name of the relevant supplier.
If you have a lot of old stock where the supplier is unknown, create a supplier called “Opening stock”.
- Click the button at the right of Delivery date and double-click the calendar to accept today’s date, the date the opening stock is being input into the inventory contro software system.
- Click Add New Item to open a screen where the details of the stock being input can be entered into the inventory management and invoicing software.
- Enter the details of the stock into the stock control software using the drop down arrows to select the correct Category and Sub Category and manually complete description information such as original Manufacturer and Model Number.
- Enter the number of Units and the Unit Price into the stock management system and click Add.
There are four distinct ways of booking in stock to the warehouse management software. Before entering your existing stock sort your current records into the four distinct booking categories ready for input to the sales management and invoicing software:
Single Barcoded Item: these are single unique items such as laptops or engineering assets that need to be tracked individually by the stock control software.
Multiple items: enter multiple identical items such as tins of soup or packs of batteries into the stock database of the inventory control software.
Direct Items: these are items where you act as an agent or middleman without stock physically entering and leaving your stores or warehouse. When a sales order is created for these items a purchase order will be automatically created to be completed manually.
Bundle items: these are items made up of several individual barcoded items from existing stock. Typically this might be a complete computer system with accessories sold at an offer or bargain price, a set given its own unique barcode.
Booking in single barcoded inventoryitems into the inventory management system:
- The entry time stamp is automatically generated by the stock control and inventory management software. Select the Purchase Order that the goods were ordered on from the drop down box.
- The stock management software will automatically fill in some of the Booking In form with information from the purchase order form when you select the purchase order from the PO Number drop down list.
- If you are already using a specific Stock Code or Part Number enter it into the inventory management software now.
- If the Description does not match the actual item or you want to alter it, then simply double click in the box to open the Specification window and change the attributes of the item. You can also type the changed attributes directly in the Description box.
- Enter the Condition of the item into the stock control software.
- Enter a Grade for the item into the inventory management software.
- Enter the Location of the item into the inventory management software. If you have no formal system in place, you will improve efficiency by labeling your locations and using those location names in the stock control software.
- Click the tab next to the Barcode Number box and the inventory management and invoicing software will automatically generate a barcode. Or you can click in the Barcode Number box and either type a barcode in the Info window that opens or scan an existing barcode using your barcode reader. The inventory control software gives you several options for using barcodes. You can generate one and use a standard barcode printer. You can also print a sheet of labels using readily available Avery Label sheets in a laser printer and assign those barcodes to items by scanning them in at this point.
- In the Extra Fields section you can enter other information into your stock management system, such as an engineer’s report if applicable, or information specific only to that unique item in a batch.
- Clicking the Finish button will enter the item into the Stock database of the inventory management software. A new booking in form will automatically open. Close this form and the stock control software will display the Stock Item window.
- The inventory management system will automatically fill in the information for that item from the details on the booking in form. Click the Add Same Model button to enter another item into the stock database of the inventory management software system from the same batch of the same manufacturer and model type. This will start a new booking in screen with most of the information filled in from the previous entry.
If there are no PO Numbers populated in the drop down box, that means that the purchase order has not been created. Because the inventory control software expects booked in stock to be matched with a purchase order these need to be created for items of existing stock. Go to the Purchase Order section of the inventory management software system manual to learn how.
Booking in multiple inventory items into the inventory management software:
Clicking Multiple Items will open the Add Stock form of the warehouse management software system.
- Select the purchase order from the PO Number drop down list. The inventory control software will fill in most of the form from the information on the purchase order.
- You may set the Reorder Level by checking the box and entering the level that you require. When the stock quantity reaches this level, the main stock line is tagged in red on the Stock screen of the inventory control software to quickly highlight low stock levels.
- Fill in the rest of the form and click Add to Stock to enter the items into the inventory management software.
- The Batch Code is automatically generated by the inventory management software when you click Add to Stock. It and can be used as the barcode for these items. You can print out a sheet of barcodes if you have a template set up in the Label Designer and the batch code will be replicated in a sheet of labels as the barcode.
You can check your stock levels in the main Stock screen of the inventory managment system and adjust it manually if required. If you are making an update to any multiple stock lines, perhaps to adjust the description or stock levels, you must first unlock the screen. The Unlock button will then become the Update button, which you click after making any change to details or adjustments to quantity.
Booking in direct inventory items to the inventory management software:
Direct items are never physically handled but to allow them to be matched to a sales order RightControl provides for the creation of notional stock. When setting up RightControl’s opening stock you will probably only need to add direct items that are in transit, shipped from your supplier but not yet delivered or invoiced to your customer.
- Select Direct Items from the booking in drop down menu. This will open a booking in form that looks identical to the Multiple Items booking in form.
- There is no automatic population of data into the direct Items form and all the information has to be entered manually. Use the drop down menus to select Category and Sub Category and then enter model, manufacturer and other specifications as required.
When using the Direct Items form there are some details that cannot be entered: PO Number, Supplier, PO Date, Batch Code, Reorder Level, Stock Level and Adjust Stock.
The quantity is retained at a default level of 99999 and cannot be altered.
- When you are happy that all the details have been entered click Add to Stock. The item will appear in the Stock record marked as DIRECT.
Booking in bundle inventory items to the inventory management software:
A Bundle Item is a uniquely identified item that is a combination of items from different sources or suppliers. Typically it might be a free mouse mat supplied with a new mouse, speakers with a new computer or else a classic “buy one get one free” offer.
If you have bundle items that you want to include in your opening RightControl stock here are the steps to follow.
- Bundle Items can be created when stock is being booked in but first a Bundle category must be created in the Products option. From the top menu bar select Settings → Options and click product. Add Bundle to Stock Category.
- To create a new bundle item select the option from the booking in drop down menu. Click the New button and in the dialog box that opens enter a name to describe how your bundle might be sold, “Free mouse with your new desktop”, for example.
- Click OK. A new dialog opens where you are invited to enter a description of your new bundle item. This should describe accurately the stock items that make up the bundle. Type in your description and click OK.
- This opens a new dialogue box where you are invited to enter the selling price for this bundle item. Type in the required figure and click OK.
- Under the correct product tab select the item you want to include in the bundle. Click the double left-hand arrow to move the item into the bundle box. A dialog box opens asking how many bundle units you want to create.
- Pick the product tab for the next item in the bundle, peripherals in this case. Click on the stock line and click the double left-hand arrow. Enter the same number of units picked for the other item making up this bundle and then click save.
- Open stock from the Main Menu to confirm the item is included in the bundle stock category.